Alakbarov E. E. — Head of Department of the Institute for Scientific Research of Economic Reforms of the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Azerbaijan, 88a, H. Zardabi ave, Baku, Azerbaijan; + (994) 507638883; email@example.com; https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6726-7282
Suleymanova A. G. — Head of Department of the Institute for Scientific Research of Economic Reforms of the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Azerbaijan, 88a, H. Zardabi ave, Baku, Azerbaijan; + (994) 503567312; firstname.lastname@example.org; https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5564-1858
THE INTERCONNECTION BETWEEN LABOUR PRODUCTIVITY AND REAL WAGES IN AZERBAIJAN
Abstract. The presented article analyses the interconnection between real wages and labor productivity in Azerbaijan in 19 types of economic activity, as well as in the sub-sectors of the manufacturing in the period of 2010–2019. In general, the average annual growth rate of labor productivity in the economy, including mining, construction, professional scientific and technical activities, and entertainment and recreation activities (2010–2019) was negative. The average growth rate of real wages was negative in the construction and activities of administrative and support services. Simultaneously, the average annual growth rates of real wages were compared with labor productivity, and it was determined that the growth rate of labor productivity is approximately proportional to the growth rate of real wages. However, in 2019 real wages exceeded labor productivity which was due to the simultaneous increase in the minimum wage of the country in 2019.
Keywords: labour productivity, real wages, types of economic activity, Azerbaijan.
- Alakbarov, E. (2020). Analysis of the effects of the coronavirus (COVID19) pandemic on the economy of Azerbaijan. Features and Problems of Economic Reforms Implementation in Azerbaijan by the Scientific Research Institute of Economic Reforms Collection of scientific works. Special edition. P. 32–52.
- Balkan, D., & Suicmez, H. (2017). Comparative analysis of labor productivity in Turkey and the world. Productivity Magazine. (1), 93–113. Retrieved from: http://dergipark.org.tr/verimlilik/issue/28662/306327.
- Bıesebroeck, J. V. (2015). How Tight is the Link Between Wages and Productivity? A Survey of the Literature. Conditions of Work and Employment Series No. 54.
- Boyle, R. (2006). Measuring public sector productivity: Lessons from international experience. CPMR Discussion Paper No. 35. Institute of Public Administration.
- State Statistics Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Retrieved from: https://www.stat.gov.az/.
- Katovich, E. S., & Maia, A. G. (2018). The relation between labor productivity and wages in Brazil: a sectoral analysis. Nova Economia. Vol. 28. No. 1. P. 7–38. https://doi.org/10.1590/0103-6351/3943
- Sharpe, A., Arsenault, F. J., & Harrison, P. (2008). The Relationship between Labour Productivity and Real Wage Growth in Canada and OECD Countries. CSLS Research Report No. 20088.
- Zekeriya, Y. (2015). Relationships among labour productivity, real wages and inflation in Turkey. Economic ResearchEkonomska Istraživanja. 28:1. 85–103. https://doi.org/10.1080/1331677x.2015.1022401