Kavunenko L.P. — PhD in Economics, Senior Researcher, Leading Researcher*
Chernohaieva O.H. — Assistant Director*
Vashulenko O.S. — PhD in Economics, Researcher*
*Dobrov Institute for S&T Potential and Science History Studies of NAS of Ukraine, 60, Shevchenko Blvd, 01032, Kyiv, Ukraine; +38(044) 236-99-29; Kavunenko@nas.gov.ua
INTEGRATION OF UKRAINE AND THE CIS COUNTRIES INTO THE EUROPEAN SCIENTIFIC SPACE: EXPERIENCE OF PARTICIPATION IN EU FRAMEWORK PROGRAMS
Abstract. The article discusses the results of a study on the participation of research organizations, universities, small and medium-sized enterprises in Ukraine and the CIS countries in the framework programs of the EU to integrate into the European scientific space. Based on the research and development information system (CORDIS), data were collected, processed and analyzed on the participation of scientists, specialists and business representatives of Ukraine and the CIS countries in EU international projects. A comparative analysis of the participation of the CIS countries in the framework of programs has been made. Particular attention is paid to the participation of Ukraine in the program “Horizon 2020”. Examples of participation of Ukrainian organizations in it are given. In the course of the research, it was revealed that almost a third of the projects that Ukrainian participants are performing involved several organizations from Ukraine. Compared to previous programs, the peculiarity of the Horizon 2020 program in comparison with previous programs is the active participation of business, public organizations and associations, as well as other non-governmental institutions. These organizations make up 45% of the total number of Ukrainian organizations that received grants in the “Horizon 2020”. The study showed that Ukraine is also one of the active participants in the international projects of the Horizon 2020 program as a participant. Participation in the program allows you to attract high-tech industries of Ukraine for projects and receive orders for the creation of innovative products.
Keywords: integration, European scientific space, EU framework programs, Horizon 2020, CORDIS, international scientific and technological cooperation, priority areas.
- Commonwealth of Independent States. Wikipedia. Retrieved from: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Содружество_Независимых_Государств.
- Shukh, K. (2014). Uchastie “novykh” chlenov YeS v evropeyskikh nauchnykh programmakh: dolgiy put vperedi [Participation of “new” EU members in European scientific programs: a long way ahead]. Forsayt [Foresight], 8 (3), 6−17.
- Radosevic, S. (2014). Technology Upgrading and RTD Challenges in Western Balkan Region: Issues and Policy Options. Synopsis of Keynote Presentation. R&D and Innovation in Western Balkans. Moving Towards 2020 (eds. I. Marinkovic, E. Dall), Vienna: Centre for Social Innovation.
- Suurna, M., Kattel, R. (2010). Europeanization of innovation policy in Central and Eastern Europe. Science and Public Policy, 37, (9), 646–664. https://doi.org/10.3152/030234210×12778118264459
- UNESCO report on science. Paris, 2015, pp. 44. Retrieved from: https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000235407_rus.
- Kavunenko, L.F., Goncharova, T.V., Zinchenko, N.S. (2014). Mezhdunarodnoe nauchno-tekhnicheskoe sotrudnichestvo Ukraina-YeS: rezultaty sotsiologicheskogo issledovaniya [Ukraine-EU International Scientific and Technical Cooperation: Results of a Sociological Study]. Nauka i naukovedenie [Science and Science of Science], 3, 65−73.
- Kavunenko, L.P., Honcharova, T.V. (2016). Deiaki aspekty mizhnarodnoi naukovo-tekhnolohichnoi spivpratsi Ukrainy: porivnialnyi analiz danykh sotsiolohichnykh doslidzhen [Some aspects of international scientific and technological cooperation in Ukraine: a comparative analysis of sociological research data]. Materialy Mizhnarodnoho simpoziumu «Vzaimodeystvie pravitelstv i natsionalnykh nauchnykh obshchestv s mezhdunarodnymi organizatsiyami [Materials of the International Symposium “Interaction of Governments and National Scientific Societies with International Organizations”]. Kyiv (in Ukr.), 140−153.
- Raising the impact of COST trough competition (2006). Cordis focus, 262, 14.
- How is “EUREKA”? Retrieved from: https://mon.gov.ua/ua/nauka/innovacijna-diyalnist-ta-transfer-tehnologij/mizhnarodna-programa-eureka/sho-take-eureka.
- Uchast ukrainskykh uchenykh u naukovykh prohramakh Yevropeiskoho coiuzu [Participation of Ukrainian scientists in scientific programs of the European Union]. Informatsiinyi biuleten [Information Bulletin], 40, May 2006. Retrieved from: http://www1.nas.gov.ua/ciptt/files/inf_bul/bulletin_40_05_06.htm.
- COST using science and technology as a tool for foreign policy (2006). Cordis focus, 262, 15.
- Smertenko, P. (2006). Prohrama EUREKA v Ukraini: politychna ta administratyvna skladova pidtrymky [EUREKA Program in Ukraine: Political and Administrative Support Component]. Nauka ta innovatsii [Science and Innovation], 2 (5), 120−122.
- EUREKA Interactive data. Retrieved from: http://www.eurekanetwork.org/data-interactive.
- Klavdienko, V.P. (2007). Ramochnye programmy issledovaniy i razvitiya YeS: tseli, prioritety, mekhanizmy realizatsii [EU framework research and development programs: objectives, priorities, implementation mechanisms]. Innovatsii [Innovations], 10, 88−91.
- Zinchenko, N.S. (2013). Tematychni priorytety Ukrainy v doslidzhenniakh Somoi ramkovoi prohramy Yevropeiskoho Soiuzu [Thematic priorities of Ukraine in the research of the Seventh Framework Program of the European Union]. Nauka ta naukoznavstvo [Science and Science of Science], 2, 124−128.
- Program of the European Union “Horizon 2020”. Recommendations for new members of the program. Retrieved from: https://www.stu.cn.ua/media/files/pdf/Rekomend_Horizont_2020.pdf.
- A Manual for Ukrainian Space Scientists for Participation in the EU Program “HORIZON 2020”, 2014. Retrieved from: http://ftp.nkau.gov.ua/pdf/Horizon-2020_small.pdf.
- Novi instrumenty Prohramy “Horyzont 2020”: informatsiini materialy [New Instrument Programming Horizon 2020: Informative Materials]. Ed.: S.M. Shukaiev, Yu.V. Lashyna, A.O. Romanko, O.O. Kizub. Kyiv (in Ukr.): NTUU “KPI”, 2015, pp. 96.
- 3D-printing of metal, autonomous buildings and waste gasification: the EU Horizont 2020 program supports Ukrainian innovators. Retrieved from: https://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/ukraine/34820/3d.