Glamazdin V. P. — Advisor to CEO of JSC “NSC “Naftogaz of Ukraine”, B. Khmelnytskoho str., 6, Kyiv, Ukraine, 01601; +38 (044) 586-34-15, email@example.com; ORCID: 0000-0003-3459-3249
Melnyk O. V. — PhD in Economics, Senior Researcher, Head of Analytic Department in Research Center: Energy & Politics LLC, Lavrska str., 9, Kyiv, Ukraine, 01015; +38 (044) 280-64-57; firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: 0000-0001-5862-3022
Tonkogolosiuk V. M. — Deputy Director in Research Center: Energy & Politics LLC, Lavrska str. 9, Kyiv, Ukraine, 01015; +38 (044) 280-64-57; email@example.com; ORCID: 0000-0003-4469-422X
ELECTRICITY SECTOR DEVELOPMENT AS A COMPONENT OF ENERGY OF UKRAINE
Abstract. The study analyzed the current state and perspective directions of development of electric power complex of Ukraine. The problematic issues that have accumulated over many decades are highlighted. In particular, one of the main threats to the normal functioning of the electric power industry is a small proportion of maneuvering, peak and half-peak capacities. An analysis of the main events that took place during 2018-early 2020 in the electricity sector of Ukraine was conducted. The main tasks defined by the Energy Strategy of Ukraine for the period up to 2035 were considered. The analysis of legislative initiatives, in particular, requirements and improvement of the law “On Electric Energy Market”, the principles of work and basic requirements for the created Electricity Transmission System Operator was carried out. The reasons for the Guaranteed Buyer’s debt on electricity market to producers working at the “green” tariff have been determined. An analysis of the so-called “Gerus amendment” was carried out. This amendment allowed import of electricity from Russian Federation. The main threats to the introduction of market relations in a monopolized electric energy market were also identified. An analysis of the development of renewable energy sector was conducted. Since 2015, sector has increased its installed capacity from 701 megawatt to 5.4 gigawatt, or almost eight times. The main threats that can be realized with an increase in green energy capacities were analyzed. It was determined that the cost of supplying one kilowatt-hour of electric energy from renewable energy sources is much higher than from other sources. As a result of this, the share of energy from renewable energy sources in the tariff structure is many times higher than the share in the generation structure. A review of legislative innovations to limit the development of renewable energy sources was conducted.The article also analyzed data of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine regarding the dynamics of electricity prices for all categories of consumers, taking into account transportation and distribution services.
Keywords: energy sector, fuel, energy resources, implementation, electricity generation, electricity consumption, traditional and renewable energy sources.
- Glamazdin, V. P. Melnik, O. V., & Tonkogolosyuk, V. M. (2020). Rozvitok naftogazovogo sektoru yak skladovoyi energetiki Ukrayini [Oil & Gas Sector Developmentas a Component of Energy of Ukraine]. Nauka. Tehnologiyi. Innovaciyi [Science. Technologies. Innovations]. 1(13). 32-41.
- “Pro zatverdzhennia planu zakhodiv z realizatsii etapu “Reformuvannia enerhetychnoho sektoru (do 2020 roku)” Enerhetychnoi stratehii Ukrainy na period do 2035 roku “Bezpeka, enerhoefektyvnist, konkurentospromozhnist” : rozporiadzhennia Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy vid 06 chervnia 2018 r. № 497-r [“On Approval of the Action Plan for Implementation of the Stage“ Reforming the Energy Sector (until 2020) ”of the Energy Strategy of Ukraine for the Period until 2035“ Security, Energy Efficiency, Competitiveness ”: Ordinance of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated June 06, 2018 No. 497-p]. Retrieved from: https://www.kmu.gov.ua/ua/npas/pro-zatverdzhennya-planu-zahodiv-z-realizaciyi-etapu-reformuvannya-energetichnogo-sektoru-do-2020-roku-energetichnoyi-strategiyi-ukrayini-na-period-do-2035-roku-bezpeka-energoefektivnist-konkurentospromozhnist.
- Ukrenergo pereshlo v podchinenie Ministerstva finansov [Ukrenergo became subordinate to the Ministry of Finance]. Retrieved from: http://uaenergy.com.ua/post/32008/ukrenergo-pereshlo-v-podchinenie-ministerstva/.
- “Popravka Herusa” pro import elektroenerhii z Rosii ye duzhe tsynichnoiu — Marunych [“Gerus amendment” on Russia’s electricity imports is very cynical — Marunich]. Retrieved from: https://prm.ua/popravka-gerusa-pro-import-elektroenergiyi-z-rosiyi-ye-duzhe-tsinichnoyu-marunich/.
- Harantovanyi pokupets podav do sudu na Ukrenerho [The guaranteed buyer sued Ukrenergo]. Retrieved from: https://www.unian.ua/economics/energetics/10633755-garantovaniy-pokupec-podav-do-sudu-na-ukrenergo.html.
- Secretariat concerned about draft amendments to the Electricity Market Law in Ukraine. Retrieved from: https://www.energy-community.org/news/Energy-Community-News/2019/010/22.html.
- U 2018 rotsi vvedeno maizhe u 3 razy bilshe novykh potuzhnostei vidnovliuvanoi elektroenerhetyky, nizh u 2017 rotsi [In 2018, almost 3 times more new renewable energy capacity was introduced than in 2017]. Retrieved from: https://www.kmu.gov.ua/ua/news/u-2018-roci-vvedeno-majzhe-u-3-razi-bilshe-novih-potuzhnostej-vidnovlyuvanoyi-elektroenergetiki-nizh-u-2017-roci-sergij-savchuk.
- Vstanovlena potuzhnist enerhosystemy Ukrainy na 11/2019 [Installed capacity of the grid of Ukraine on 11/2019]. Retrieved from: https://ua.energy/vstanovlena-potuzhnist-energosystemy-ukrayiny/.
- Pro vnesennia zmin do deiakykh zakoniv Ukrainy shchodo zabezpechennia konkurentnykh umov vyrobnytstva elektrychnoi enerhii z alternatyvnykh dzherel enerhii : Zakon Ukrainy №2712-VIII [On amendments to some laws of Ukraine on ensuring competitive conditions for generating electricity from alternative energy sources: Law of Ukraine No. 2712-VIII]. Retrieved from: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=65076.