Vavilina N. I. — Senior Researcher, Ukrainian Institute of Scientific and Technical Expertise and Information, 180, Antonovicha Str., Kyiv, Ukrane, 03150; +38 (097) 292-41-42; ORCID: 0000-0002-4861-2810
GLOBAL TRENDS IN THE ASSESSMENT OF SCIENTIFIC, INNOVATIVE AND EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES OF HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS
Abstract. New approaches and principles of forming a system of indicators for the analysis and assessment of scientific, innovative and educational activities are analyzed in the article. There is still no standardized system of indicators of evaluating the scientific and innovative activity of higher education institutions, so countries develop such indicators based on national specificities and the level of economic development. Approaches and methods of assessing the quality of education are changing in the world’s leading countries, taking into account its scientific and innovative component. A comprehensive system approach based on multi-aspect expert research with the involvement of a small number of scientometric indicators is spreading. Preference is given to criteria of economic, social, and cultural significance of scientific research. Forming and updating of the system of criteria and indicators are significantly influenced by new trends in the development of higher education institutions under the conditions of the economy of knowledge and innovation: the growing importance of the functions of forming intellectual capital; increasing the role of educational science; forming of innovation-oriented functions of highereducation institutions: generating of innovative ideas; knowledge and technology transfer, entrepreneurial function, etc. The evaluation indicators of higher education institutions in international rankings reflect important changes in the development of the modern university most effectively. Based on the analysis of indicators of well-known international ratings and the methodology of their forming, groups of modern criteria and indicators have been selected for possible use in the domestic practice of evaluating the scientific, innovative and educational activities of higher education institutions.
Keywords: scientific and innovative activity, trends in evaluation of higher education institutions, criteria and indicators, international ratings, principles of formation of the system of indicators.
- Blashchuk-Deviatkina, N. Z. (2019). Reformuvannia vyshchoi osvity v umovakh informatsiinoho suspilstva [Reforming higher education in the conditions of the information society]. Onovlennia systemy i zmistu universytetskoi osvity: novi pidkhody, nova yakist – Updating the system and content of university education: new approaches, new quality. Lviv, 88 p. [in Ukr.].
- Buhil, S. Ya. (2019). Rozvytok vyshchoi osvity v suchasnykh umovakh [Development of higher education in modern conditions]. Onovlennia systemy i zmistu universytetskoi osvity: novi pidkhody, nova yakist – Updating the system and content of university education: new approaches, new quality. Lviv, 88 p. [in Ukr.].
- Tatarynov, S. V., & Tatarynov, V. V. (2020). Reformy vyshchoi osvity ta problemy yikh realizatsii v Ukraini [Reforms of higher education and problems of their implementation in Ukraine]. Akademichnyi ohliad – Academic review. 1 (52). Retrieved from: https://acadrev.duan.edu.ua/images/PDF/2020/1/7.pdf. [in Ukr.].
- Klimova, H. P. Formuvannia innovatsiinoho klimatu u VNZ [Formation of an innovative climate in universities]. Retrieved from: https://ndipzir.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Klimova.pdf. [in Ukr.].
- Vaskiv, O. M. (2019). Nova yakist universytetskoi osvity [New quality of university education]. Onovlennia systemy i zmistu universytetskoi osvity: novi pidkhody, nova yakist – Updating the system and content of university education: new approaches, new quality. Lviv, 88 p. [in Ukr.].
- Ellis Roger Quality Assurance for University Teaching. Retrieved from: http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED415735.pdf.
- Independent report. Research Excellence Framework review. An independent review of university research funding by Lord Nicholas Stern. Published 28 July 2016. Last updated 31 December 2018. From: Department for Business, Energy Industrial Strategy. Research Excellence Framework (REF) review: Building on success and learning from experience. An Independent review of the Research Excellence Framework. July 2016, p. 6. Retrieved from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/research-excellence-framework-review; researchgate.net/publication/275335177. DOI: 10.1038/520429a.
- Total R&D in the Netherlands by Sector of Performance and Source of Funds, R&D Activity Type and Type of Costs. Rathenau Institut. Retrieved from: https://www.rathenau.nl/en/science-figures/investments/how-much-does-netherlands-spend-rd/total-rd-netherlands-sector.
- The Top American Research Universities: 2019 Annual Report The Center for Measuring University Performance 2020. Retrieved from: https://mup.umass.edu/sites/default/files/annual_report_2019.pdf.
- World THE University Rankings 2021: methodology. Retrieved from: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/world-university-rankings-2021-methodology.
- QS World University Rankings – Methodology. Retrieved from: https://www.topuniversities.com/qs-world-university-rankings/methodology.
- Shevchenkiv universytet u QS World University Rankings 2021 [Shevchenko University in QS World University Rankings 2021]. Retrieved from: https://www.univ.kiev.ua/news/11117. [in Ukr.].
- QS Graduate Employability Rankings Methodology. Retrieved from: https://www.topuniversities.com/employability-ankings/methodology.
- Dva ukrainski universytety potrapyly do reitynhu naikrashchykh za mozhlyvostiamy pratsevlashtuvannia vypusknykiv [Two Ukrainian universities were ranked among the best in terms of employment opportunities for graduates]. Retrieved from: https://mon.gov.ua/ua/news/dva-ukrayinski-universiteti-potrapili-do-rejtingu-najkrashih-za-mozhlivostyami-pracevlashttpshtuvannya-vipusknikiv. [in Ukr.].
- U-Multirank. Retrieved from: www.umultirank.org.
- U-MULTIRANK. 2021. Ukrainian Universities in Global Comparison. Retrieved from: https://www.umultirank.org › sites › country-reports .
- UA-Country report – 2021pdf. Retrieved from: https://www.umultirank.org › sites › country-reports.
- U-Multirank stvoryuye novyy “Indeks spivrobitnytstva u sferi vyshchoyi osvity”, yakyy pokazuye, shcho klyuchem do stratehichnoho uspikhu ye spivpratsya [U-Multirank creates a new “Cooperation Index in Higher Education” that shows that the key to strategic success is collaboration]. Retrieved from: https://www-umultirank-org.translate.goog/press-media/press-releases/u-multirank-creates-new-higher-education-cooperatio. [in Ukr.].
- Globally Top Performing Ukrainian Universities. Retrieved from: https://www.umultirank.org/.
- Yevro-OSVITA [Euro-EDUCATION]. Retrieved from: http://www.euroosvita.net/prog/data/upimages/innovative-forms-of-assessment-medicine_um2021.jpg.