Balanchuk I. S. — Head of the Sector of Ukrainian Institute of Scientific and Technical Expertise and Information, Antonovicha Str., 180, Kyiv, Ukraine, 03150; +38 (044) 521-09-81; firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: 0000-0002-5179-7350
THE CONCEPT OF ORGANIZING THE WORK OF RESEARCH UNIVERSITIES: PREREQUISITES, TASKS, RECOMMENDATIONS FOR UKRAINE
Abstract. Long before the emergence of modern research universities, in society, it became necessary to create educational institutions of an absolutely new type: with the latest approaches and methods to the principles of teaching; with mechanisms for mastering knowledge, modern by that time; with the structure of transferring acquired experience into practical activities. Thus, based on the conclusions of many specialists, scientists, teachers, it were developed and presented general and specific recommendations for the opening and development of such educational institutions, which we now call institutions of higher education of an innovative type, or research universities. The purpose of this article was to study the specifics of the functioning of research institutions by analyzing the features of the organization of their work, the main tasks, key problems and expected results of activities. The main scientific method used in this work was a system-analytical method, using which the main prerequisites for the creation of a research university were determined, as well as a holistic structure of the activities of such an institution of higher education in order to present practical recommendations for opening innovative institutions in Ukraine. The main results obtained in the course of this study can be identified as follows: determination of the characteristics of the “triple helix” model in the work of research universities; characteristics of the basic tasks, goals and problems in the work of such institutions; providing relevant proposals for the development of the concept of creating a research university in Ukraine. The results of this scientific work and the conclusions obtained in the course of the presented study can be used for further practical scientific research on this topic, as well as for: teachers and students of higher education in the specialty history, pedagogy, educational technology.
Keywords: institution of higher education, strategy, innovations, scientific projects, professional activity.
- Elliott, R. W., & Paton, V. O. (2014). An Effective Leader in Higher Education: Charles William Eliot. Journal of International Education and Leadership. 4 (2), 6 p. Retrieved from: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1135894.pdf.
- Sytnytskyi, M. (2018). Doslidnytskyi universytet yak sotsialno-ekonomichnyi fenomen [Research university as a socio-economic phenomenon]. Business Inform. 3, 133–140. Retrieved from:https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Maksym-Sitnicki2/publication/326131487_Doslidnickij_universitet_ak_socialnij_ta_ekonomicnij_fenomen_The_Research_University_as_a_Social_and_Economic_Phenomenon/links/5b3a74a04585150d23f1c8cd/Doslidnickij-universitet-ak-socialnij-ta-ekonomicnij-fenomen-The-Research-University-as-a-Social-and-Economic-Phenomenon.pdf [in Ukr.].
- Jaschik, S. (2015). Organizing Enlightenment. Inside Higher Ed. Retrieved from: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/05/08/scholar-discusses-his-book-creation-research-university-and-disciplines.
- Ishchenko, A. (2021). Pidpryiemnytskyi universytet yak perspektyvna model poiednannia doslidzhen, osvity y ekonomichnykh innovatsii [Entrepreneurial university as a promising model of combining research, education and economic innovation]. Rice University Textbook. Retrieved from: https://cnx.org/contents/WZZuPxzQ@3/Підприємницький-університет-як-перспективна-модель-поєднання-досліджень-освіти-й-економічних-інновацій [in Ukr.].
- Hladchenko, M., Benninghoff, M. (2020). Implementing the Global Model of the Research University in a National Context: Perspectives of Deans and Department Heads. International Journal of Educational Management, 7, 26. Retrieved from: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Myroslava-Hladchenko-2/publication/343153331_Implementing_the_global_model_of_the_research_university_in_a_national_context_perspectives_of_deans_and_department_heads/links/6071a45d92851c8a7bb7b00e/Implementing-the-global-model-of-the-research-university-in-a-national-context-perspectives-of-deans-and-department-heads.pdf.
- Kesten, A. (2021). Analysis of the Missions of Higher Education Institutions within the Scope of Third Mission Understanding. International Journal of Educational Methodology. 5(3), 387–400. Retrieved from: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alper-Kesten/publication/348394087_Analysis_of_the_Missions_of_Higher_Education_Institutions_within_the_Scope_of_Third_Mission_Understanding/links/5ffcba4792851c13fe069b90/Analysis-of-the-Missions-of-Higher-Education-Institutions-within-the-Scope-of-Third-Mission-Understanding.pdf.
- Farazmand, F. (2018). The Role of Universities in a Knowledge Economy. Lynn University Research. Retrieved from: https://spiral.lynn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1523&context=facpubs.
- Etzkowitz, H. (2008). The Triple Helix. University-Industry-Government Innovation in Action. Retrieved from: https://silo.pub/the-triple-helix-university-industry-government-innovation-in-action.html.
- Kolomytseva, O., Pavlovska, A. (2020). The Role of Universities in the National Innovation System. Baltic Journal of Economic Studies, 6 (1), 51. Retrieved from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/339976235_THE_ROLE_OF_UNIVERSITIES_IN_THE_NATIONAL_INNOVATION_SYSTEM/fulltext/5e70c22492851c4745900d91/THE-ROLE-OF-UNIVERSITIES-IN-THE-NATIONAL-INNOVATION-SYSTEM.pdf.
- Aimahambetov E. (2012). Usloviia y predposylki transformatsii universiteta v innovatsyonno-predprynymatelskyi [Conditions and prerequisites for the transformation of the university into an innovative and entrepreneurial one]. Visnyk Kyivskoho natsionalnoho universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka – Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko Kyiv National University. 142, 9–12. Retrieved from: http://bulletin-econom.univ.kiev.ua/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/142_2.pdf [in Ukr.].
- Taylor, J. (2016). Strategies for Internationalization: Some issues and Responses. University of Liverpool Research. Retrieved from: https://www.hrk.de/fileadmin/redaktion/hrk/02-Dokumente/02-07-Internationales/02-07-02-Audit/WS_3_Taylor.pdf.
- European Research Area (ERA), (2021). European Commission. Retrieved from: https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/strategy/strategy-2020-2024/our-digital-future/era_en#:~:text=Related%20links-,What%20is%20ERA%3F,and%20technology%20across%20the%20EU.&text=ERA%20was%20launched%20in%202000,revitalise%20it%20began%20in%202018.
- How Does The Bologna Process Work? European Higher Education Area and Bologna Process. (2021). Retrieved from: http://www.ehea.info/.
- Harvard University (2021). Retrieved from: https://www.harvard.edu/.
- University of Pennsylvania (2021). Retrieved from: https://www.upenn.edu/.
- University of Oxford (2021). Retrieved from: https://www.ox.ac.uk/.
- Pro zatverdzhennia Polozhennia pro doslidnytskyi universytet (Vtratyv chynnist). Postanova Kabinetu Ministriv 17 liutoho 2010 r. № 163 [On the approval of the Regulation on a research university (Lost in force). Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of February 17, 2010 No. 163]. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/163-2010-%D0%BF#Text [in Ukr.].