Berezniak N. V. — Senior Researcher of State Institution “Ukrainian Institute of Scientific and Technical Expertise and Information”, Antonovich Str., 180, Kyiv, Ukraine, 03680; +38 (044) 521-09-67; firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: 0000-0002-0125-2213
Shabranska N. I. — PhD in Economics, Senior Researcher of State Institution “Ukrainian Institute of Scientific and Technical Expertise and Information”, Antonovich Str., 180, Kyiv, Ukraine, 03680; +38 (067) 367-90-14; email@example.com; ORCID: 0000-0001-7731-281Х
NEW TRENDS IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF SCIENTIFIC, TECHNOLOGICAL
AND INNOVATION POLICIES OF THE WORLD COUNTRIES: THE OECD VISION
Abstract. A new direction of science, technology and innovation policy, initiated by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), has been investigated. The proposed OECD paradigm of new mission-oriented policies encompasses initiatives aimed at overcoming public challenges in the world and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals 2030 (UN), which is especially relevant for Ukraine. The general characteristics of the instruments of political influence and interaction are given. These instruments are the “mix” of policies that aim to implement direct and indirect forms of support. The examples of developing the national strategic documents and supporting a sustainable economy in the OECD member countries are considered. Highly developed countries introduce special instruments that promote breakthrough innovations to implement strategic priorities. The OECD notes the feasibility of creating different types of institutions that will be responsible for defining national strategies and shaping science, technology and innovation policies. The challenges and trends of political support for innovative business by the OECD member countries are described. The governments of these countries are initiating the formation of new directions and the use of new public policy instruments, in particular: a combination of fiscal instruments and direct support instruments, simplified access to financing schemes and increased transparency through the creation of a “single window” or digital support services, etc.
Keywords: Business innovation, open innovation, initiative, support tools, science, technology and innovation policy, STI policy, OECD, breakthrough innovation, innovation development strategy, “mix” of policies, societal challenges.
- Pro skhvalennia Stratehii rozvytku sfery innovatsiinoi diialnosti na period do 2030 roku: Rozporiadzhennia Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy vid 10.07.2019 № 526r. [Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine “On approval of the Strategy for the development of innovation for the period up to 2030” dated 10.07.2019 No. 526r]. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/5262019%D1%80#Text.
- Berezniak, N. V., & Shabranska, N. I. (2020). Novi tendentsii rozbudovy naukovoi, tekhnolohichnoi ta innovatsiinoi polityky krain svitu: bachennia OESR [New trends in science, technology and innovation policy of the world: the vision of the OECD. Analytical reference]. Kyiv, 50 p.
- Governance of Science and Technology Policies (2019). OECD Science, Technology and Industry: Policy Papers October. No. 84. 36 р.
- Innovation Support in the Enterprise Sector Industry and SMES (2019). OECD Science, Technology and Industry: Policy Papers. October. No. 82. 30 р. Retrieved from: https://www.oecdilibrary.org/scienceandtechnology/innovationsupportintheenterprisesector_4ffb2cbcen. https://doi.org/10.1787/4ffb2cbcen
- The Innovation Policy Mix (2010). OECD Science, Technology and Industry Outlook. Chapter 6, OECD Publishing, Paris. 23 р. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1787/sti_outlook2010en. https://doi.org/10.1787/g24651ffcen
- Paunov, C., & Borowiecki, M. (2018). The governance of public research policy across OECD countries. 18 р. Retrieved from: https://www.oecdilibrary.org/docserver/sti_in_outlook201814en.pdf?expires=1559318976&id=id&accname=ocid84004878&checksum= B61E53DA31F53F4FE17297AC8736F717.
- Egeberg, M., & Trondal, J. (2009). Political Leadership and Bureaucratic Autonomy: Effects of Agencification. 23 р. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.14680491.2009.01458.x
- Open Research Agenda Setting (2017). OECD Science, Technology and Innovation Policy Papers No. 50.36 р.
- R&D Tax Incentive Indicators (2018). July. Retrieved from: http://oe.cd/rdtax.
- OECD Committee for Scientific and Technological Policy (2019). Retrieved from: https://community.oecd.org/community/cstp.
- The Innovation Imperative: Contributing to Productivity, Growth and WellBeing (2013). OECD Publishing, Paris. https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264239814en.