Glamazdin V. P. — Advisor to CEO of JSC “NSC “Naftogaz of Ukraine”, B. Khmelnytskoho str., 6, Kyiv, Ukraine, 01601; +38 (044) 586-34-15, email@example.com; ORCID: 0000-0003-3459-3249
Melnyk O. V. — PhD in Economics, Senior Researcher, Head of Analytic Department in Research Center: Energy & Politics LLC, Lavrska str., 9, Kyiv, Ukraine, 01015; +38 (044) 280-64-57; firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: 0000-0001-5862-3022
Tonkogolosiuk V. M. — Deputy Director in Research Center: Energy & Politics LLC, Lavrska str. 9, Kyiv, Ukraine, 01015; +38 (044) 280-64-57; email@example.com; ORCID: 0000-0003-4469-422X
OIL & GAS SECTOR DEVELOPMENT, AS A COMPONENT OF ENERGY OF UKRAINE
Abstract. The article analyzes the current state and perspective directions of development of the energy sector of Ukraine in general and the oil and gas complex in particular, which should meet the Plan of measures for the implementation of the stage “Reform of the energy sector (until 2020)” of the Energy Strategy of Ukraine for the period until 2035 “Security, energy efficiency, competitive”. According to the study, at the time the report was released, 80% of the points foreseen by the Plan were not fulfilled. Some legislative initiatives and changes in the regulation of markets of fuel and energy resources are considered. The article analyzes the dynamics of changes in energy consumption. The main trends in the development of the gas and oil products markets are identified. It is found that, despite progress on diversification of supply sources, the country is heavily dependent on imports of energy from The Russian Federation. Separate consideration is given to the transit of natural gas from the Russian Federation to the EU. It is noted that the signed contract is quite compromise and provides a transit pipeline load of less than 40%. The main reasons for the change in the structure of the use of fuel and energy resources, in particular, the practical termination of the use of fuel oil as a boiler-furnace fuel, are also highlighted. The data of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine on the dynamics of prices for natural gas for all categories of consumers, including tariffs for transportation, distribution and trade margin (for household consumers), were also processed. A steady increase in natural gas prices for household consumers was noted during almost the entire analyzed period. Naftogaz Ukraine’s unbinding process was investigated. It is revealed that all necessary steps have been taken to create an independent gas transmission system operator, which took place on January 1, 2020. The implementation of the Energy Community Directives and Regulations in the energy sector has been analyzed, with overall sales less than 50%. The main results of the Stockholm Arbitration between Naftogaz of Ukraine and Gazprom are considered.
Keywords: energy sector, fuel and energy resources, diversification, unbundling, gas transportation system operator, implementation, energy consumption, gas transit, pricing and tariff policy.
- “Pro zatverdzhennia planu zakhodiv z realizatsii etapu “Reformuvannia enerhetychnoho sektoru (do 2020 roku)” Enerhetychnoi stratehii Ukrainy na period do 2035 roku “Bezpeka, enerhoefektyvnist, konkurentospromozhnist” : rozporiadzhennia Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy vid 06 chervnia 2018 r. № 497r [“On Approval of the Action Plan for Implementation of the Stage“ Reforming the Energy Sector (until 2020) ”of the Energy Strategy of Ukraine for the Period until 2035“ Security, Energy Efficiency, Competitiveness ”: Ordinance of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated June 06, 2018 No. 497p] Retrieved from: https://www.kmu.gov.ua/ua/npas/prozatverdzhennyaplanuzahodivzrealizaciyietapureformuvannyaenergetichnogosektorudo2020rokuenergetichnoyistrategiyiukrayininaperioddo2035rokubezpekaenergoefektivnistkonkurentospromozhnist.
- Informatsiinoanalitychni materialy pro stan vykonannia Planu zakhodiv z realizatsii etapu “Reformuvannia enerhetychnoho sektoru (do 2020 roku)” Enerhetychnoi stratehii Ukrainy na period do 2035 roku “Bezpeka, enerhoefektyvnist, konkurentospromozhnist” [Information and analytical materials on the state of implementation of the Action Plan for the implementation of the Energy Sector Reform (2020) phase of the Energy Strategy of Ukraine for the period up to 2035 “Security, Energy Efficiency, Competitiveness”]. Retrieved from: http://mpe.kmu.gov.ua/minugol/doccatalog/document?id=245351521.
- State of implementation 2019. Secretariat’s Implementation Reports. Retrieved from: https://www.energycommunity.org/implementation/IR2019.html.
- Istorychna peremoha Ukrainy: stokholmskyi arbitrazh [Ukraine’s historic victory: Stockholm arbitration]. Retrieved from: http://www.naftogaz.com/www/3/nakweb.nsf/0/A6094D6DF82CF76BC225834B00523754?OpenDocument&Expand=2&.
- Energetika2018: istoricheskaya pobeda nad “Gazpromom” i povyishenie tarifov [Energy 2018: a historic victory over Gazprom and an increase in tariffs]. Retrieved from: https://economics.unian.net/energetics/10401573energetika2018istoricheskayapobedanadgazpromomipovyshenietarifov.html.
- Reformyi v energetike i okruzhayuschey srede za yanvariyul 2018 goda: itogi ekspertnogo monitoringa [Reforms in energy and the environment for JanuaryJuly 2018: results of expert monitoring]. Retrieved from: http://uacrisis.org/ru/68510energyreforms.
- Pro vnesennia zmin do rozdilu KhKh “Perekhidni polozhennia” Podatkovoho kodeksu Ukrainy shchodo stvorennia umov dlia zabezpechennia vykonannia zoboviazan Ukrainy z vidokremlennia diialnosti z transportuvannia pryrodnoho hazu za Protokolom pro pryiednannia Ukrainy do Dohovoru pro zasnuvannia Enerhetychnoho Spivtovarystva, ta z urakhuvanniam vidpovidnykh polozhen Uhody pro asotsiatsiiu mizh Ukrainoiu, z odniiei storony, ta Yevropeiskym Soiuzom, Yevropeiskym spivtovarystvom z atomnoi enerhii i yikhnimy derzhavamychlenamy, z inshoi storony : Zakon Ukrainy № 314ІХ [On Amendments to Section XX, Transitional Provisions, of the Tax Code of Ukraine on Creating Conditions for Ensuring the Implementation of Ukraine’s Obligations to Separate Natural Gas Transportation Activities under the Protocol of Ukraine’s Accession to the Energy Community Treaty and Taking into account the relevant provisions on the association between Ukraine, of the one part, and the European Union, the European Atomic Energy Community and their Member States, of the other part: Law of Ukraine No. 314IX]. Retrieved from: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=67291.
- The Secretariat supports certification of the gas transmission system operator of Ukraine. Retrieved from: https://www.energycommunity.org/news/EnergyCommunityNews/2019/12/17.html.
- Pro zatverdzhennia Tekhnichnoho rehlamentu shchodo vymoh do avtomobilnykh benzyniv, dyzelnoho, sudnovykh ta kotelnykh palyv: postanova Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy vid 01 serpnia 2013 r. № 927 [On Approval of the Technical Regulation on Requirements for Motor Gasoline, Diesel, Marine and Boiler Fuels: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of August 9, 2013 No. 927]. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/9272013 %D0 %BF.
- Ukraina: toplivnyiy ryinok — itogi 2018 goda [Ukraine: fuel market — results of 2018]. Retrieved from: https://ukrenergy.dp.ua/2018/12/29/ukrainatoplivnyjrynokitogi2018goda.html.
- Tsiny na haz pryrodnyi dlia pobutovykh spozhyvachiv [Natural gas prices are for domestic consumers]. Retrieved from: http://www.nerc.gov.ua/?id=18948.