Androshchuk H. O. — PhD (Economics), Associate Professor, Chief Researcher, Research Institute of Intellectual Property of the Ukrainian National Academy of Law, 11, Kazуmirа Malevуchа Str., 4 Bldg., Kyiv, Ukraine, 03680; +38 (044) 200-08-76; email@example.com; ORCID: 0000-0003-0781-9740
Kvasha T.K. — Head of Department of Ukrainian Institute of Scientific and Technical Expertise and Information, 180, Antonovycha Str., Kyiv, Ukraine, 03680; +38 (044) 521-00-74; firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: 0000-0002-1371-3531
PATENT LANDSCAPE AS A TOOL FOR FORECASTING WORLD TECHNOLOGICAL TRENDS: ARMS AND MILITARY EQUIPMENT
Abstract. Studying and analyzing the world’s promising areas of technological development of the armament and military equipment (AME) field is an urgent task of ensuring comprehensive long-term planning for the development of military equipment, organizing scientific research, strategic planning for the development of the national armed forces and ensuring the national security of the state. The method of determination of perspective directions of technological development of the field of armaments and military equipment on the basis of patent analysis is presented in the work. Patents play an important role in building entrepreneurial strategies and protecting intellectual property (IP) rights in technology companies. Using patent information can reduce R&D time by 60% and reduce their cost by 40%. The Patent Landscape Report provides a snapshot of the patent situation in a particular technology or company, in a particular region, country or globally. Using this methodology and Derwent Innovation database, which contains information on more than 116 million patents from 52 world patent bases, a patent landscape was built on the basis of the International Patent Classification (IPC) and the world technological trends of the research area, including both military technology and dual-use technologies. The article presents the most promising areas of technological development of a military nature, which include aerospace, information and communication technologies, technologies for communication and image transmission systems, vehicle traffic control systems, smart, intelligent, high-energy hypersonic weapons, ammunition with several warheads, and individual security systems, etc. Ukraine’s place in this process, unused reserves and threats are shown. The conclusion is drawn about the formation of science. Intellectual property analytical materials were provided, and definition was given.
Keywords: intellectual property analytics, inventions, forecasting, technology mapping, armament and military technology, patent landscape, patent information, promising technologies, national security.
- SIPRI Arms Industry Database. Retrieved from: https://www.sipri.org/databases/armsindustry.
- Rekomendatsii z oboronnoho planuvannia na osnovi spromozhnostei u Ministerstvi oborony Ukrainy ta Zbroinykh sylakh Ukrainy [Defense Planning Recommendations Based on Capabilities at the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine and the Armed Forces of Ukraine]. Retrieved from: http://www.mil.gov.ua/content/other/Recommendationson_CBP_120617.pdf
- Chang, P. L., Wu, C. C., Leu, H. J., (2012). Investigation of technological trends in flexible display fabrication through patent analysis. Disp. 33 (2), 68–73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.displa.2012.03.003
- Zhang, Ke, Chen, Zhiguang, Zhao, Yuyin, (2013). Dome Protection Technologies For Overseas Highvelocity guided missiles. Infrared and Laser Engineering. 1. 154–158.
- Acosta, M., Coronado, D., Marin, R., & Prats, P. (2013). Factors affecting the diffusion of patented military technology in the field of weapons and ammunition. SCIENTOMETRICS. 1. 1–22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s1119201208578
- Kim, Dong, Lee, B. K., & Sohn, S.Y. (2016). Quantifying technologyindustryspillovereffects basedon patent citation network analysis ofunmannedaerialvehicle (UAV). Technological Forecasting and Social Change. Vol. 105. 140–157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2016.01.025
- The Representative Technology Field Analysis of Domestic Defense Companiesin Communication — electronicsbasedon Patent Information Data (2017). Journal of Korea AcademiaIndustrial Сooperation Society. 4. 446–458.
- Kim, J. (2015). A Studyon Technological Performance of Japanese Defense Industry: Focused on Patents Application Activities of Japanese Defense. Companies National Strategy. 4. 29–50. https://doi.org/10.35390/sejong.21.4.201512.002
- Androshchuk, G. O. (2018). Transfer tekhnolohii v oboronnopromyslovomu kompleksi Ukrainy: problemni pytannia [Technology Transfer in the Defense and Industrial Complex of Ukraine: Problematic Issues]. Nauka, tekhnolohii, innovatsii [Science, Technology, Innovation]. 1, 2. 62–71; 38–47.
- Kvasha, T. K. (2018). Prohnoz napriamiv tekhnolohichnoho rozvytku u sferi ozbroiennia ta viiskovoi tekhniky [Forecast of directions of technological development in the field of armaments and military equipment]. Informatsiia, analiz, prohnoz — stratehichni vazheli efektyvnoho derzhavnoho upravlinnia [Information, Analysis, Forecast Strategic Levers of Effective Public Administration]. Kyiv. 113–126.
- Koval, V. V., Korsets, O.A., Kotlyar, S.O., & Kuznetsova, O.V. (2011). Do pytannia zastosuvannia metodiv naukovotekhnichnoho prohnozu rozvytku ozbroiennia i viiskovoi tekhniky na osnovi analizu patentnoi ta naukovotekhnichnoi informatsii [On the application of methods of scientific and technical forecast of the development of weapons and military equipment based on the analysis of patent and scientific and technical information]. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats Kharkivskoho universytetu povitrianykh syl [Proceedings of Kharkiv University of the Air Force]. 2 (28). 3436.
- Bugera, M. G. (2016). Metod morfolohichnoho analizu patentnoi informatsii dlia pobudovy statystychnoi modeli prohnozu rozvytku zakhysnykh prystroiv dynamichnoho typu [The method of morphological analysis of patent information for the construction of a statistical model for the prognosis of the development of dynamic type protective devices] Zbirnyk naukovykh prats Kharkivskoho universytetu povitrianykh syl [Proceedings of Kharkiv University of the Air Force] 4. 75–79. Retrieved from: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/ZKhUPS_2016_4_16.
- AI Next Campaign. Retrieved from: https://www.darpa.mil/workwithus/ainextcampaign
- Artificial Intelligence Exploration (AIE) Opportunity Automating Scientific Knowledge Extraction (ASKE). Retrieved from: https://www.fbo.gov/index.php?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=6ea9c46dd5a8d8620cd02d2b1471ed59&tab=core&_cview=0.
- Artificial Intelligence Research Associate (AIRA). Retrieved from: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=ee78d74decc4851c873de9633967a3da&tab=core&_cview=0.
- Basic Law on Cybersecurity (Act no. 104 of 12 Nov. 2014), Japanese Law Translation Database System website operated by Japan Ministry of Justice. Retrieved from: http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/law/detail/?ft=1&co=01&ia=03&x=0&y=0&ky=%E3%82%B5%E3%82%A4%E3%83%90%E3 %