Berezniak N.V. — Senior Researcher of Ukrainian Institute of Scientific and Technical Expertise and Information, 180, Antonovycha Str., Kyiv, Ukraine, 03680; +38 (044) 521-09-34; firstname.lastname@example.org
Rozhkova L.V. — Head of Section of UkrISTEI, 180, Antonovycha Str., Kyiv, Ukraine, 03680; +38 (044)521-09-67; email@example.com; ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-8002-3461
EUROPEAN APPROACHES TO THE DEFINITION OF SMART SPECIALIZATION OF THE REGIONS OF UKRAINE
Abstract. In order to form approaches to determining the regions suitability for smart specialization (S3) in Ukraine that are harmonized with European requirements, 11 key European S3 principles are identified, analyzed and systematized. They are obligatory for consideration in the process of developing a S3 strategy at the regional level. They are based on an analysis of the strengths and potentialities of the economy and business activities involving stakeholders and resources. The essence of these principles and the peculiarities of their influence on the content of the smart specialization strategy, the development of which is a prerequisite for the participation of the region in the European platform of smart specialization and the use of resources of the European structural and investment funds. European approaches to smart specialization, which include a phased procedure for determining S3, is considered. Features and characteristics of the six stages of reasonable specialization are given. Their compliance is mandatory for the development of a regional smart strategy. Scientific and analytical research will help determine the suitability of Ukrainian regions for smart specialization and further develop regional strategies for reasonable specialization that meet European requirements.
Keywords: investment, internationalization, cluster, entrepreneurial discoveries, unified political measures, platform, regional, smart specialization, common vision, strategy, S3.
- Communication from the Commission Europe 2020. A strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth. Brussels, 3.3.2010, pp. 34. Retrieved from: https://ec.europa.eu/info/business-economy-euro/economic-and-fiscal-policy-coordination/eu-economic-governance-monitoring-prevention-correction/european-semester/framework/e.
- Smart Specialisation Platform (S3). Retrieved from: http://s3platform.jrc.ec.europa.eu.
- Guide to Research and Innovation Strategies for Smart Specialisation (RIS3). European Union, 2012, pp. 127. Retrieved from: https://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/sources/docgener/presenta/smart_specialisation/smart_ris3_2012.pdf. https://doi.org/10.1111/grow.12268
- European Commission National/Regional Innovation Strategies For Smart Specialisation (RIS3) Cohesion Policy 2014-2020, Brussels, 2014. Retrieved from: http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/sources/docgener/informat/2014/smart_specialisation_en.pdf. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315773063
- Liakh, O.V. (2016). Promyshlennaya politika v usloviyakh detsentralizatsii gosudarstvennogo upravleniya: strategiya razumnoy spetsializatsii [Industrial policy in the context of decentralization of government: a strategy of reasonable specialization]. Ekonomika promyslovosti [Economy of industry], 2 (74), 74–90. Retrieved from: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/econpr_2016_2_7.
- OECD. Innovation-driven Growth in Regions: The Role of Smart Specialisation. Paris: OECD Publications, 2013, pp. 202.
- Berezniak N.V., Rozhkova L.V. (2018). Metodychni rekomendatsii shchodo vyznachennia smart-spetsializatsii rehioniv Ukrainy, harmonizovani z yevropeiskymy pidkhodamy [Methodical recommendations for determining the smart specialization of the regions of Ukraine, harmonized with European approaches]. Kyiv (in Ukr.): UkrISTEI, 46. https://doi.org/10.35668/2520-6524-2019-2-01
- Berezniak N.V. (2018). Yevropeiska platforma intelektualnoi spetsializatsii. SMART SPECIALISATION PLATFORM (S3), Informatsiino-analitychnyi material [European Platform for Intellectual Specialization. SMART SPECIALIZATION PLATFORM (S3), Information and analytical material]. Kyiv (in Ukr.): UkrISTEI, 82.